Maintaining Vinyl Window and Door Frames
The true beauty of vinyl windows and doors is that they come closer to being maintenance-free than most exterior building products.
Although rain usually does a satisfactory job removing dirt from vinyl window and door frames, follow these simple instructions if necessary to keep them clean and looking as good as new.
Normal Maintenance Tips
- Use a soft cloth or long-handled soft-bristle brush to wash frames.
- If necessary, use a mild abrasive cleaner such as SoftScrub®, Ajax®, BonAmi®, etc. (Note: the use of any abrasive material could have a detrimental effect on the surface of glass and window or door frames.)
- Do not use cleaners containing aggressive organic solvents (such as chlorine bleach; liquid grease remover; strong soaps and detergents containing organic solvents) because they could damage the surface appearance of the vinyl.
- Use the readily available household cleaners listed below for tough dirt and stains such as top soil, caulking, rust or mold and mildew. Please refer to the manufacturer’s instructions on use of cleaners.
- Avoid washing windows with high pressure spray.
Cleaners to Remove Stains from Vinyl and Wood Door Frames*
|Bubble gum||Fantastik®; Murphy Oil Soap®; Solution of 30% vinegar and 70% water; Windex®|
|Crayon||Lestoil® DAP (oil-based caulk) Fantastik®|
|Felt-tip Pen||Fantastik®; water-based cleaners|
|Grass||Fantastik®; Lysol®; Murphy Oil Soap®; Windex®|
|Lipstick||Fantastik®; Murphy Oil Soap®|
|Lithium Grease||Fantastik®; Lestoil®; Murphy Oil Soap®; Windex®|
|Mold and Mildew||Fantastik®; Solution of 30% vinegar and 70% water; Windex®|
|Motor Oil||Fantastik®; Lysol®; Murphy Oil Soap®; Windex®|
|Paint||Brillo® Pad; SoftScrub®|
|Rust||Fantastik®; Murphy Oil Soap®; Windex®|
|Top Soil||Fantastik®; Lestoil®; Murphy Oil Soap®|
- North Star does not endorse proprietary products or processes and makes no warranties for the products referenced herein. Reference to proprietary names is for illustrative purposes only and is not intended to imply that there are not equally effective alternatives.
- These tips are based on a study conducted by the Vinyl Window and Door Institute on the efficiency of cleaning agents and their effects on the appearance of vinyl window frames after two years of outdoor exposure.
Maintaining Self-Cleaning Glass
North Star windows and patio doors are available with optional Pilkington Activ™ Self-Cleaning Glass, which features a thin, clear, permanent, coating on one of its surfaces. The coating makes raindrops spread out, or sheet, across the surface to wash away dirt particles. It also acts as a catalyst, when activated by sunlight, to break down organic dirt into water vapor and CO2 gas.
Because self-cleaning glass needs a slightly different cleaning procedure, please refer to Pilkington Activ™ Self-cleaning Glass cleaning instructions